Luan Borelli is a Master’s student at FGV EPGE – Brazilian School of Economics and Finance. Formerly, he worked as a Researcher for the National Development Research Program (PNPD) at the Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA), serving on the Directorate of Macroeconomic Studies and Policies (DIMAC). He is a graduated economist from the Brazilian Institute of Capital Markets (IBMEC). His research interests lie in the fields of Macroeconomics, Macroenometrics and Finance.
Master in Economics (2022-Today)
Fundação Getúlio Vargas – Brazilian School of Economics and Finance
Bachelor in Economics (2017-2020)
Brazilian Institute of Capital Markets
- Econometrics I (2019.1, 2020.1)
- Calculus III (2018.2)
- Microeconomics II (2018.2)
- Linear Algebra (2019.2)
Honors & Awards
- 1st place @ Ibmec Undergraduate Thesis Award 2020
- 1st place @ Ibmec Education Stars Merit Scholarship 2020
- 2nd place @ Ibmec Investment Challenge 2019.2
- Study Group on Real Analysis (CNPq)
Directorate of Macroeconomic Studies and Policies (DIMAC) at Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA)
At DIMAC, I worked on the operationalization and automation of macroeconomic models, having worked with dynamic stochastic general equilibrium models (DSGE), overlapping generation models (OLG), and vector autoregression models (VAR). During the COVID-19 pandemic, I also worked with epidemiological models (SIR) with economic interactions.
At Ipeadata, I developed the Ipeadatapy package, which makes it possible to query, view, and extract Ipeadata’s database data and metadata directly via Python code. I also developed internal Python algorithms to produce statistical reports regarding database queries, aiming at subsidizing decisions on revision, updating, and inclusion of time series. Furthermore, I participated in the reformulation of the database’s metadata norms and standards, developing benchmarking research with large national and international time-series databases.
International Congress of Mathematicians
- I was part of the congress’ volunteer support team. I participated in an IMPA article about volunteering at the congress.
Research, references and other writings
- Borelli, L., Vonbun, C. (2021) “Forecasting Brazilian GDP under Fiscal Foresight and Nonfundamentalness with a Noncausal Fiscal VAR”, R&R at Brazilian Review of Econometrics.
- Working paper version: SSRN.
- Borelli, L. and Góes, G. S. (2021), “The Macroeconomics of Epidemics: Interstate Heterogeneity in Brazil”, EconomiA, forthcoming.
- Previous working paper versions:
- English version: “Macroeconomics of Epidemics: Interstate Heterogeneity in Brazil” (2020), Covid Economics: Vetted and Real-Time Papers, Issue No. 30. Centre for Economic Policy Research (CEPR).
- Portuguese version: “A Macroeconomia das Epidemias: heterogeneidade interestadual no Brasil” (2020), Texto para Discussão IPEA, No. 2581. Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA).
- Previous working paper versions:
- Borelli, L., Vonbun, C. e Góes, G. S. (2021) “Antecipação Fiscal, Não Fundamentalidade e Não Causalidade no Brasil”, Texto para Discussão IPEA, No. 2699. Institute for Applied Economic Research (IPEA).
- Borelli, L and Goes, G S (2021), “Implicações da descoordenação entre as esferas federal e estadual na condução de políticas públicas de combate à pandemia da Covid-19 no Brasil”, Cadernos ENAP. Issue No. 85. National School of Public Administration (ENAP).
- Interstate heterogeneity and combatting COVID-19 in Brazil, VoxEU, July 01, 2020.
- Leis macroeconômicas existem?, Valor Econômico, January 07, 2022.
- Printed version here.
- Alunos do curso de Ciências Econômicas do Ibmec são aprovados no exame da ANPEC, Ibmec Insights, November 11, 2021.
- Estudo mostra que falta de coordenação na pandemia da Covid-19 afetou saúde e economia no país, O Globo, October 22, 2021.
- Descoordenação federativa na condução da pandemia é objeto de estudo de EPPGG, National Association of Specialists in Public Policy and Government Management (ANESP), August 04, 2021.
- Pesquisador associado do Piatam tem trabalho publicado por prestigiado centro de pesquisa internacional, Piatam Institute, July 09, 2020.
- Artigo com coautoria de EPPGG é publicado na Covid Economics do CEPR, National Association of Specialists in Public Policy and Government Management (ANESP), June 29, 2020.
- Saiba como baixar (e entender) os dados do IPEA todos de uma vez, Brazilian Association of Investigative Journalism (ABRAJI), January 23, 2020.